Event weather insurance protects against revenue losses from adverse weather conditions that reduce attendance and the sale of concessions, food and parking.
Cost containment weather insurance is designed to contain costs associated with abnormal weather conditions. Examples include snow removal costs in an abnormally snowy winter, heating costs in an abnormally colder winter or prolonged winter season, or cooling costs in an abnormally hot season or prolonged summer season. Our seasonal or annual coverage responds to pay for each and every inch of snow, or degree over the budgeted amount.
Income stabilization weather is a business interruption tool in a simplified format specific to a reduction in sales/revenue tied solely to weather. An example would be a pay-for-play golf course that experiences a summer full of weekend wash-outs, dramatically impacting their bottom line. Our seasonal or annual weather coverage would respond to the business interruption, paying the insured an agreed upon limit per day to offset the shortfall.
Prize / promotion weather insurance is designed to stimulate sales for many types of retailers and manufacturers. If a certain weather event occurs on a predetermined day, consumers receive a full or partial refund on purchases made during the promotional period.
Golf tournament cancellation insurance provides protection of up to $25,000 for a golf tournament if it is cancelled within a 12-hour period leading up to the start time, due to adverse weather conditions.
Big day umbrella insurance is a wedding day rain insurance policy that pays out an agreed amount if it rains a predetermined amount on the insured’s wedding day, at a specified location during predetermined hours.
Summary of Coverage
- Typical buyers of event weather insurance include fairs / festivals, concerts, sporting events, parades and air shows.
- Typical buyers of cost containment weather insurance include property management companies, private schools / hospitals and municipalities / towns.
- Typical buyers of income stabilization Insurance include restaurants, car washes and pay-for-play golf courses.
- Typical buyers of prize / promotion weather insurance include jewelry stores, furniture stores, electronics stores and auto dealers.
NEW - Smartphone App / IMPROVED - hands-on claim verification:
Specialty Group has formed a strategic alliance with Weather Analytics and launched a Smartphone app for our weather insurance clients. This innovative technology provides smarter claims verification for our weather policyholders to validate if there is a weather claim at a specific event. The app allows users to view and download a detailed hourly report of the weather data. Based on this report, if a claim is validated, a check will automatically be mailed within 3 business days of claim notification.
- Air shows
- Auto dealers
- Car washes
- Electronic stores
- Fairs / festivals
- Furniture stores
- Golf tournament organizers
- Municipalities / towns
- Private schools / hospitals
- Property management companies
- Sporting events
- Policies are written on a stated value basis for an amount of the insured’s choosing. Policy limits are determined by the appetite of the open market.
Tokio Marine HCC affiliated carriers
- Commerce & Industry
- Certain Underwriters at Lloyd’s
Event weather insurance for rain can be handled through our TotalEvent® online quoting system and is subject to a minimum premium of $150. We can also provide golf tournament cancellation insurance and big day umbrella insurance online, subject to a $100 minimum premium. Access TotalEvent® Online for brokers or TotalEvent® Online for direct customers.
All other weather coverages are handled in an offline environment and are subject to a $500 minimum premium.
Sr. Vice President, Contingency and SHEL
Vice President, Contingency Underwriting
Vice President of Promotions Division
Claims Department (Wakefield, MA)