At Tokio Marine HCC (TMHCC), our specialist Underwriters have been writing TV & Film Errors & Omissions (E&O) insurance for several years and have over 20 years’ experience in the industry. Whether you need cover for a small or large-scale production, it is important that you know what you are buying to ensure it provides you with the right coverage. So, what do you need to know about TV & Film Errors & E&O insurance?
But what is it?
Film & TV E&O covers the content of TV programmes, movies, webisodes, live events, theatre shows and all things in the media space.
What is content?
Content can be defined as: audio, words, pictures, images, photographs, archive material, music and production title – from inclusion in anything from big budget movies to children’s TV programmes (and everything in between!).
What does it cover?
It covers claims arising out of any content that forms part of your production activities arising from the following, but not limited to:
- Defamation - including disparagement of character harm to reputation or feelings of any person or organisation, such as: libel, slander or defamation, product disparagement, malicious falsehood and trade libel
- Intellectual Property Infringement such as: a breach of copyright, title, format, character or trademark
- Breach of Privacy and Publicity including but not limited to false light or public disclosure of private facts
How can TMHCC help?
Our understanding of this industry and bespoke wordings allows TMHCC to offer a range of variables including:
- Cover for one off productions for up to 5 years with varying limits according to the contract with the distributor or broadcaster
- Worldwide cover
- Cover for Additional Insureds
- Occurrence policies up to 5 years, including an additional 5 years’ extended reporting period/exhibition period
- Annual cover for all your productions including an automatic 3 years’ extended reporting period for Additional Insureds
- Incorporating a PI extension where Professional Services are being offered
What do we need from you?
We can indicate a premium based on a brief production synopsis and budget, subject to completion of a proposal form. We like to personalise our quotes and do not believe in ‘one size fits all’!
What if I have a claim?
TMHCC’s dedicated and experienced Media claims handlers work with a selected global panel of specialist Media lawyers to manage our world-wide E&O claims. The Claims team has successfully managed claims ranging from rights disputes in the U.S. to breach of copyright claims in Germany (and beyond)!
For more information about Film & TV E&O insurance, please contact our Film & TV Underwriting Manager, Ros Breese at RBREESE@tmhcc.com
This article does not represent personal advice or any recommendation. Please seek advice from your Insurance Broker who will be happy to look at your individual business needs and circumstances.
Tokio Marine HCC is a trading name of HCC International Insurance Company plc, which is a member of the Tokio Marine HCC Group of Companies. HCC International Insurance Company plc is authorised by the Prudential Regulation Authority (PRA) and regulated by the UK Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) and Prudential Regulation Authority. Registered in England and Wales No. 01575839 with registered office at 1 Aldgate, London EC3N 1RE.